Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Gospel According to Brutus Part IV: Surrender, But Never Quit (OVERTIME)

If you have not listened to my sermon from September 30, I would encourage you to click on the "sermons" tab at the top of our church website then listen to that sermon before reading this post. The audio has an occasional buzz but I believe the message is worth the minor annoyance.

What follows is the text of a letter that I sent to Chris Spielman's home on August 31. Understandably, I did not receive a response, but I am hopeful that he knows how appreciative I am of him telling his family's story. If you have not read his book That's Why I'm Here: The Chris and Stefanie Spielman Story I encourage you to do so.

Dear Mr. Spielman,

My name is Everett Miller. I am the pastor of First Presbyterian Church down the road from you about an hour in Washington Court House, Ohio. My wife, our two young children, and I moved to Ohio from our home state of Oklahoma at the beginning of 2012 because of an overwhelming sense of God guiding us to make that move to bring us together with the wonderful people in this church. This congregation has been through a lot over the years with a near split about seven years ago, the loss of a number of young families, and then to top it off, a pastor with a destructive addiction. Yet they kept a core of faithful people together who held on to hope that God had something better in store for them. They took a huge leap of faith and started renovating the old manse (parsonage) even after they had been told by church officials that “no pastor will live in a parsonage anymore.” Like Noah, they worked every day, just because they felt the Holy Spirit’s strong guidance to do it. Through a series of amazing “God moments” this congregation and my family were drawn together. I thank God for that every day, and we love living in Ohio.

One of the reasons I think this congregation is filled with people of such great faith is that it is filled with both cancer survivors and those who have lost someone very close to them to cancer. One of our most faithful members, Carol Halliday, just lost her cousin Marilyn Mount, whom I believe you knew. I have lost both grandfathers, one of my best friends, and numerous parishioners over the years to cancer as well. The faith of the saints in this congregation has been tested and refined in the fires of cancer. This is demonstrated by the fact that for the past two years, although we are not nearly the largest congregation in Washington Court House, we have won the trophy for raising the most money for the Fayette County Relay For Life. These wonderful folks have learned, as you mention in your book, God’s promise, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Although I am their pastor, they teach me every day what it means to live the Christian life and to put my trust in our heavenly Father.

I have written you this letter for three reasons, and I assure you that none of those reasons involves asking you to do anything. Actually, all three revolve around That’s Why I’m Here. Firstly, I want to thank you for writing your family’s story down and sharing it with the world. I just finished reading your book and I have highlighted many passages. I am a huge football fan, but it was, of course, the story of how Stefanie grew in faith, fought hard, and poured herself out as a fragrant offering to the Lord and to others, and how you and your children, as you say, did not crawl or walk to God but ran and threw yourself on Him, that touched me. The old hymn, “Leaning on the Everlasting Arms” comes to mind. I have been strengthened in my faith because of the Spielman family’s witness to our Lord as shared in your book. In a culture with very few positive examples of faithful husbands and fathers, your loyalty to your family and Christian leadership in your family have inspired me to strive to do the same with my own wife and children.

The second reason I am writing is to tell you that your book has had such an impact on some folks in our congregation that have read it that one of our adult Sunday school classes has begun to read your book and to discuss it together as their fall study. I thought you would want to know the positive Christian impact your book has had on this congregation. Thirdly, I just wanted to share with you a sermon series that I am preaching September 9, 16, 23, and 30. Many in our congregation are crazy about Buckeye football and everyone is excited about Coach Meyer’s first season. Although my wife and I share an alma mater with your old teammate Barry Sanders, I am more than happy to root for the Buckeyes as long as the two teams are not playing each other. In fact, we are going to our first Ohio State game tomorrow. Anyway, in an effort to be able to relate better to the congregation I serve, over the past few months I have been trying to learn as much as I can about the traditions and history of the Scarlet and Gray. As I read the book, Then Tress Said to Troy: The Best Ohio State Football Stories Ever Told, I kept coming across stories that made me think, “This would make a great sermon
illustration about…” Then I decided to put together a series of four sermons that I would preach early in the football season that would use only illustrations from Ohio State football history. They will, of course, still be sermons of witness to Jesus Christ and the Christian life, but I thought that maybe just one or two football fans might come to hear the gospel for the first time through the series. I decided to call the sermon series The Gospel According to Brutus, with a tagline, “The Human Heart Can Be a Tough Nut to Crack.” The first sermon will be a sermon about how our Christian words are empty without our Christian actions and will draw upon the career of Chic Harley and how he never ran his mouth but let his play on the field speak for itself. Another sermon will be about preparing our hearts and minds through daily spiritual disciplines such as prayer and Scripture reading. This sermon will draw upon how Coaches Hayes, Bruce, and Tressel prepared their teams. I am not exactly sure yet what the third sermon will be, but the final sermon on September 30 will draw heavily upon your book and will be about surrending ourselves to God’s will and to God’s care. If just one person can be reached who would not have been in worship had I not been talking about Buckeye football, then it will be worth all the hours of research and preparation.

Again, thank you for writing your book and sharing it with the world. Please know that there is a group of your brothers and sisters in Christ down here at First Presbyterian Church in Washington Court House who have been touched by your family’s story. I apologize that this letter is not handwritten, but if you had ever tried to read my handwriting you would be glad that I typed it. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter, as I know you are a very busy person with many demands for your time and attention.

Your Brother in Christ,
Everett Miller