Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Something New for the New Year

In the three years that I've had this "Beneath the Celtic Cross" pastor's blog, I've written more than 130 posts. I've discussed everything from Batman to tornadoes and from baseball to Jungian psychology. As would be expected, over time it has grown harder and harder to figure out what in the world I'm going to write about from week to week. Also, I've become a bit tired of my own musings and judging from the steady decline of readership over the last year or so others have gotten tired of them too. My first inclination was to discontinue the blog, but enough people appreciate it and look forward to it each week that I decided not to end it all together. Instead, I'm "re-launching" the "Beneath the Celtic Cross" pastor's blog as "As the Story Goes: Pastor Everett's Weekly Take on the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of Church History in About 500 Words." In case you have this page as one of your favorites in your web browser (a guy can dream, right?) you should know that I'm not changing the web address.

Each week in 2015 I'll tell you a little bit about some figure, group, or event in the history of our Christian family. Some of those stories will be uplifting, some will be embarrassing. Some will be humbling, and others will be downright terrifying. I'll try to do it in a way that will engage you all in the great story that is the history of the Christian faith. I won't just "report the news;" I'll tell the story. Although I said I'm tired of my own musings, there will probably be some of those slipped in each week as well. But out of mercy for you and for me I'll limit myself to 500 words for each post.

Each week I will begin the post with these words: "As the story goes..." Then I will tell you a brief story from the history of the church that I've read somewhere. One week it may be about some giant of Church history like St. Augustine or Martin Luther and the next week it might be about someone or some event of which you've never heard. Why am I doing this? Well, to be completely honest with you part of my motives are self-serving. I absolutely love history. I can't get enough of it! This will give me yet another opportunity to learn more about it. Second is the fact that, as Christians, church history is our family story. Just like the stories of our biological families, our Christian family story is full of "the good, the bad, and the ugly." It is important for us to be encouraged by the encouraging stories of our Christian family and inspired by the bad and the ugly to be better disciples of the Prince of Peace than our forebears have been at times.

Well, that's about 500 words. We'll get started next week.

Blessings on your New Year,
Everett