Wednesday, December 11, 2013

A Meditation on Snow

Snow.  It’s everywhere right now.  It snowed several inches Friday.  While I was preaching on Sunday I could see out the glass doors that it was a virtual whiteout for awhile.  Did you watch the Detroit Lions and the Philadelphia Eagles later that day?  It was snowing so hard you could barely even see the players.  Then it snowed a few more inches early Tuesday morning.  Our side yard has about eight inches of snow on it, which made for a fun football game with the kids yesterday afternoon.  It is supposed to snow again on Saturday.  Granted, south-central Ohio isn’t quite Buffalo, New York, but this is a good amount of snow seeing as winter hasn’t even officially begun yet.  Looking out my office window on this bitterly cold yet beautifully sunny day, everything is covered with snow. 

Andy Goldsworthy once said, “Snow provokes responses that reach right back to childhood.”  Well, when I was a little kid I lived in the lowcountry of South Carolina.  I can remember two dustings of snow throughout my entire childhood.  For kids who were much more accustomed to the beach, those very light snows were absolutely magical.  I also have a memory that I am not sure if it actually happened or not.  For some reason I remember our family pulling off the road in the mountains of North Carolina and playing in the snow.  The only reason we were ever in North Carolina was when we were on our way to or from Oklahoma, but that was always in summer.  Maybe it didn’t happen, but it’s a good memory nonetheless.

When I moved to northern Oklahoma when I was a freshman in high school I got my first experience with snows of several inches.  One weekend when we were snowed into my grandparents tiny little shack of a house, I remember pulling Lost Horizon off the shelf and reading it cover to cover, and being carried away to Shangri La.  Another time we were snowed in I read Jurassic Park in its entirety in one day.  Later in high school I remember games of snow football on the school lawn and lying down on an old car hood chained to my friend’s dually pick up, being pulled on the snow covered streets.  That was stupid.  Speaking of stupid, I also remember a snow day on which several of us were in our friend James’s Ford LTD that we’d named “Blue Thunder.”  We were doing doughnuts in the snow at the town rodeo arena.  We ended up running into a light pole.  James died five or six years ago of cancer.  He was a wild one and I have a lot of memories of times with James that should have killed us long before cancer took him.

I remember that on January 5, 2001 it snowed really hard in northern Oklahoma.  I remember that because I was in a little Toyota Corolla driving through the snowstorm trying to make the 120 miles from Stillwater to Cherokee.  I remember the date because our wedding rehearsal was that night and we were afraid no one would make it.  The next day it was freezing cold but sunny when we walked out of the church after saying our vows and eating some cake to be showered with birdseed as we climbed into that same Toyota Corolla with “Just Married” shoe-polished onto the back window. 

Another memory of snow that I hold close to my heart comes from five years ago or so when I was hiking with friends at about 10,000 feet in Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado.  It was early October and when we were about four miles into our high altitude hike it started snowing harder than I’ve ever seen.  It was breathtaking.  I felt so small and insignificant, but that was a good thing for a change.  Eventually, though, we had to turn back without making it to the top of the trail because the snow was up to our knees.  We turned around but I’ll never forget the grandeur of what I saw that day.



Snow doesn't usually come to mind when we think about the Bible.  So often we think of all the events in the Bible happening in hot, dry, dusty climates.  Everyone is wearing sandals and protecting themselves from the heat.  However, it does snow in the Holy Land.  It snows a little bit pretty much every winter in Jerusalem, although it doesn’t usually stick, probably kind of like Atlanta.  However, this past January, Jerusalem had its worst snowstorm in twenty years.  They got eight inches in one day which is a good quality snowstorm even here in Ohio.  I love this photo of a Jewish man praying at the Temple Wall in the midst of the snow.  In Galilee, where Jesus grew up and lived until he was about thirty, it snows even more often than it does in Jerusalem.  So Jesus almost certainly got to experience snow as a young man.  I've never imagined that before!

Snow is mentioned twenty-three times in the Bible, usually as an example of something being clean and white.  The most famous example of this comes in Psalm 51:7, "Cleanse me with hyssop and I will be clean; wash me and I will be whiter than snow."  Of course, over time racists being the word-skewers they are, used these kinds of verses to teach those of color that to be white is to be closer to God.  That was a terrible lie and it totally misses the point.  David was pouring his heart out to God and asking for forgiveness. Cleanness is a metaphor for being forgiven.  Snow, when it first falls, is "clean" and "pure." It's just a metaphor; it doesn't have anything to do with anything else.  Snow is used several other times in the Bible as a metaphor in this way, and what a beautiful metaphor it is.  I have heard that when Bible translators were translating the Bible into certain African and Pacific Island languages, they had to find another word besides snow because nobody there had any idea what snow is.  The metaphor for forgiveness is extraordinarily important, too important to be lost just because someone has never seen snow.  I think they ended up substituting the word for clouds or sand or wool.  

My favorite of all biblical mentions of snow comes in Isaiah 55:10-12 and following:

As the rain and the snow
    come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
    without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
    so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
    It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
    and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
You will go out in joy
    and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and hills
    will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field
    will clap their hands.   

I don't know if I really was trying to make any kind of point today.  I just saw snow outside and decided to write about it. The snow, with all the accompanying cancellations of events, has allowed us to have an unexpected Sabbath time within our family.  At first it seemed a hassle, but then it seemed like a blessing.  I hope you are safe, and that you take just a moment today to look at the snow and to think about God, and think about the beauty of nature, and think about some positive memory you have that involves snow.  Share that story with someone, and be at peace.

May you know you are loved and blessed today,
Everett