Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Dreams of Writing (a follow up to last week)


First of all, I want to tell you about a fun new side project I’m doing.  I am going to write a novel (or perhaps a novella) by writing one very short chapter every week (about 1,000 words) or so and posting it online.  I’m trying to get people to “subscribe” to it for free so that you will receive notification each time I post a new chapter.  I simply have to know that someone is going to read what I write, or I have very little motivation to write.  This is not going to be Pulitzer Prize winning fiction.  This is going to be “pulp” fiction or “popular” fiction.  It probably won’t bring you to a state of enlightenment, but my hope is that it will be interesting enough to keep coming back each week.  It will give you something short to read and it will give me something short to write.  Please go to somewherewestofrockyford.blogspot.com, read about it, and register your email.  You will then need to check your email and click on a link in your email from “feedburner” that will verify your registration.  I’m trying to get 100 free subscribers before this coming Monday when I post the first chapter.

Now, I want to respond to several questions I received last week in response to my blog post.  The response to last week’s blog post has been quite positive; I thank you for that.  If anyone was bothered by it in any way, those folks have not come to me with their concerns.  Like I said last week, I’m different than a lot of pastors.  I appreciate your acceptance of my difference and even your support for my other interests.

The main questions that folks had for me this past week have been in regard to my statement that it is a dream of mine, a dream that won’t go away, for me to earn a Master of Fine Arts degree in Creative Writing.  I mentioned last week that I have voluntarily put that dream on the shelf two times—once to take the path of building a relationship with Danielle (that one worked out!) and once to take the path to become the pastor of this congregation (that one is working out too!).  I do not regret either decision.  The great Christian spiritual writer Richard J. Foster is fond of saying that wisdom is “knowing what to do at the moment it needs to be done.”  I believe that I was acting wisely both times I set my dream aside.  That does not, however, mean that the dream goes away.  It just gets moved to the proverbial backburner, but it keeps simmering.  Some of you wanted to know how I could ever achieve that dream.  The short answer is, “I don’t know.”  The longer answer follows.

The first thing you need to know is that not every college or university offers a degree in Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing.  There are only a few schools that do in the state of Ohio.  The second thing you need to know is that the majority of MFA programs are traditional residential programs.  That means that you go to school full time for two years.  During those two years you take graduate courses and teach undergraduate courses.  Quite often your tuition is paid through the stipend you earn from teaching.  All your other bills, however, are not.  To earn an MFA in this way, you need to have a ton of money saved up, live with your parents, have a spouse that supports the family, or take on a large amount of student loan debt.  This is why the vast majority of MFA students are people in their young twenties who just earned their undergraduate degrees.  I do not have a ton of money saved.  Living with my parents is not an option.  Danielle works very hard but does not earn enough as a teacher’s aide to support the family.  Within a year, we will have finally (after thirteen years of monthly payments) be out from under student loan debt.  I refuse to enter back into this kind of debt again.  As Proverbs 22:7 says, “The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender.”  I’m about to be free of that “slavery.”  Why would I want to go back into bondage, especially for a degree that doesn’t pay off financially?  The most important reasons, however, that I wouldn’t fulfill my dream this way is that it would not be good for my family and because I love being pastor of this church.  So the traditional option is out, and I’m okay with that.  There is another option, however.  But there are some obstacles there as well.

Over the past decade or so, several colleges and universities have started to offer what is called a “low residency” MFA program.  It is a model that is almost exactly the same as the Doctor of Ministry degree that is offered by most seminaries.  In a “low residency” MFA program, you go to campus for 10-14 days in January and 10-14 days in July.  A couple of programs even offer an option where you go away just once for 14 days in the summer.  During those “residencies” you take intensive classes.  Throughout the rest of the year you work on your writing projects, work long distance with a writing mentor, and “workshop” your writings through online chat groups.  Most low residency programs are still just two years.  You get to keep your fulltime job, and this option works very well for students with family and work responsibilities.  However, there is a catch.  Because the low residency model makes it to where an MFA student cannot teach during the program and there is little to no scholarships or financial aid available, these programs end up being very expensive.

There is another issue with low residency MFA programs.  That issue is that the majority of them are offered by private universities.  This makes them very expensive (again without the scholarships and financial aid offered to undergraduates at the same school).  There are some public universities offering this model of program, like Murray State in Kentucky and the University of Alaska, but there are no low residency programs at all, let alone public university low residency programs, in the state of Ohio.  So my choice would be either to pay private school tuition or out-of-state public school tuition, which are pretty close to the same.  Then you also have to pay for travel to and from, as well as for room and board during your residencies.  While this option has greater possibility for me than the residential programs, since I do not have an extra $25,000-$30,000 lying around, this is almost certainly never going to happen either.  After all, if I was able to save up that much money, wouldn’t it make more sense to spend it to send my kids to college, rather than to earn a second master’s degree?  It makes me sad, but such is life.

I have just become aware today, as I have been writing this post, that there is, perhaps, a third (and maybe fourth) option.  There are now a couple of schools, such as the University of Texas at El Paso and the University of Arkansas at Monticello, that are offering programs that are 100% online.  There are obvious advantages to these programs, but there are two very big disadvantages.  The biggest disadvantage is that a big part of the MFA in Creative Writing experience is being a part of a community of writers.  In that way it is similar to seminary.  Many seminaries continue to refuse to offer online programs because they believe (and perhaps rightly so) that the experience of academic and spiritual community is essential.  Many writing programs feel the same way, and in a “perfect world” this is true.  But people have responsibilities.  The second disadvantage is that, while technically an MFA qualifies you to teach creative writing at the undergraduate level, chances are that the person who is reviewing your resume is going to know that your program was online and not residential or even low residency.  My guess is that there is a great deal of prejudice in that regard.  “If you were a really good writer/writing teacher you wouldn’t have had to go to school online.”  That is not necessarily true, but perception is reality isn’t it?   

A possible fourth option is that there is an online program called a Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies in Writing from Western New Mexico University.  This degree, however, does not necessarily qualify you to teach creative writing at the college level but it does (presumably) help your writing, it is shorter, and it is much less expensive.

So all that being said, I have to decide how important that dream is, and whether or not the dream really is to earn an MFA in Creative Writing or to become a better (and someday published!) writer.  Is the dream to be able to teach a creative writing class at a college?  Fulltime creative writing teaching positions are extremely hard to get (virtually impossible), they pay less than what I make as your pastor, and if it comes down to someone with an MFA from the online program at UTEP or from a first-class residential program like Iowa or Michigan or even good regional schools like Bowling Green or Miami (Ohio) we all know who would get the job.  So teaching (at least in any fulltime way) creative writing is a pipe dream; it’s not going to happen.  It would still be nice to have the degree, perhaps from a program like UTEP, that would make me eligible to teach creative writing as an adjunct, let’s say at local schools like Southern State Community College, Wilmington College, or OU-Chillicothe.  I would enjoy that experience a great deal.  The one semester I taught undergraduate New Testament was one of the top experiences of my life.  More than anything, however, I really just want to become a better fiction writer.  I can do that without an MFA degree, (after all Stephen King doesn’t have one) although the instruction and workshop experience (group feedback and revision) usually accelerates the growth and gives a great deal of inspiration.  I asked a friend of mine who graduated from the perennial number one MFA program, Iowa, what is important in an MFA.  He said, “a community of writers and deadlines.”  After all, an MFA degree won’t get your writing published “just because.”  It doesn’t usually hurt your case but ultimately it is your writing that speaks for itself. 

So don’t worry; I’m not going to run off and enroll in a residential MFA in Creative Writing program.  That would be ridiculously stupid on my part.  I’m not going to enroll in a low residency MFA anytime soon—unless someone has $30,000 burning a hole in their pocket that they want to give me.  I am, however, going to look into the online MFA at UTEP and the MAIS at Western New Mexico State University, and if one of those might be a viable option I might use my continuing education money toward that program.  It isn't a traditional thing for a pastor to do with that money, but most pastoral conferences bore me, and a Doctor of Ministry degree just doesn't get my heart racing the way a writing program does.  While these online programs wouldn’t be my “perfect world” choices, if my real goal is just to become a better fiction writer than they might be the wise choices.  So, again, I’m not going anywhere.  I love being your pastor; I just love writing fiction too.            

Again, if you haven’t done it already, please go to somewherewestofrockyford.blogspot.com and register your email address.

Next week, I’ll get back to more overtly spiritual matters.

Peace,
Everett